Guest contributor Lauren Ellis shares how to make this adorable
Pillow Case Princess Leia Costume!
Be sure to see the “Meet Lauren” box at the bottom of the page!
My kids love Star Wars, anything Star Wars and they’re on it. So when it was Star Wars night at vacation bible school my daughter had to dress like Princess Leia and she decided this about 30 minutes before it was time to leave. If you need a quick, easy, and affordable costume here it is!
What you’ll need:
- 1 white pillow case
- white thread or white embroidery floss
- gray felt (long strip)
- sharp scissors
- hot glue gun
- 1 inch strip of Velcro
- pen or pencil
1. Iron the pillow case if needed. Lay on a flat surface and draw faint lines for the arm and neck holes on the closed end. After the lines are drawn carefully cut just inside the lines so there are no marks left on the costume.
2. Lay the pillow case flat. Cut two pieces of string about five inches long each. I chose to use embroidery floss because it is stronger but a thick thread would work as well. Use the string to gather the straps at the shoulder. You can leave the string loose or pull it tight depending on how wide you want the straps to appear. After you tie the knots trim the ends of the string and move the knot to the bottom side of the strap so the knot is not visible.
3. Making the belt (or use a belt you have laying around the house!). I chose to use a piece of gray felt, its thick, it will hold its shape, and the edges don’t have to be finished. Cut a three in wide strip of fabric to fit your child’s waist. Fold the strip in half and cut a point in the fold, continue to cut gradually making the belt thinner. * If you happen to have a child’s belt on hand you could also use this instead of making a belt.
4. Hot glue the Velcro to the ends of the belt for easy on and off. If you’re in a time crunch you could also fasten the belt with a safety pin.
5. Pair the costume with strappy sandals or flats, hair in buns, and your little one is ready to go!
Disclosure: All opinions expressed above are those of the writer and are in no way influenced by companies or brands mentioned within. Post and page may contain affiliate links and advertising. Thank you for clicking through them! It helps keep 4 The Love Of Family here for you
Quick Pillowcase Princess Leia Costume For Toddlers