If it hasn’t already, the final bell will be ringing at your child’s school any day. That means they’ll be home for almost 3 months on summer vacation. Keep them busy with fun this summer! Here are 10 inexpensive summer activities for kids to keep busy and active.
- Make a fort out of cardboard boxes. This one is pretty fun. You can do this inside or outside. Pro tip: use cardboard as well as long thin pieces of wood and stabilize the cardboard with duct tape.
- Go for a walk and make a collage or scrapbook of the things you come across. The kids can pick flowers or anything that catches their attention and then make a collage or diorama.
- Plan a picnic in the backyard. If you have some time for the whole family to get together, plan a picnic with everyone’s favorite sandwiches. Use a sheet or blanket to keep off of the itchy grass. Don’t forget the lemonade!
- Have a balloon popping painting party. Set up large pieces of cardboard against the fence then fill balloons with (non-toxic) paint. Throw the balloons and make them splatter on the cardboard.
- Make a (small) indoor sandbox. Just grab four cups of rice, three tablespoons of rubbing alcohol and a few drops of food coloring. Mix the ingredients together and let it sit overnight to dry.
- Make a bird house out of popsicle sticks. You can pick up a hot glue gun and popsicle sticks and any craft store and let your imagination run wild!
- Get the neighborhood kids together for a bike race. Just be sure to wear helmets and pick a referee that is unbiased to stand at the finish line!
- Have an outdoor movie night. If you have a projector hang a white sheet on the side of your house or fence and project a movie onto it while the family sits in lawn chairs and enjoys it. If you don’t have a projector move a portable TV outside on a sturdy table.
- Make your own board game. You make the rules, the board, and the pieces! You can make anything you want!
- Fly kites! Kites are fun and cheap. You can get fairly decent ones at most dollar stores.
Ideas from our readers!
- Go geocaching
- Find a local water park
- Get a small backyard pool
- Splash Pad play
- Just get outside!
- Frisbee Golf (@MyLittleChick on Twitter)
Summer activity ideas for kids are abundant. Above are just a few. Comment below and share your ideas with us! What activities do you have planned for summer vacation?
Disclosure: All opinions expressed above are those of the writer and are in no way influenced by companies or brands mentioned within. Post and page may contain affiliate links and advertising. Thank you for clicking through them! It helps keep 4 The Love Of Family here for you
10 Fun Summer Activities for Kids
Aw, these are all such neat ideas! Summer is such a special time because you have so many opportunities to embark on new adventures with your little ones. So glad to see you’re taking advantage of that and encouraging others to do the same! Thanks so much for sharing all these fun ideas!
Angela Johnson says
Thanks so much for the reply! I completely agree 🙂
You might also love our Summer Family Bucket List: https://www.4theloveoffamily.com/the-best-100-activities-summer-bucket-list-for-the-family/
What an Great Post. Very interesting topic of the time and I really thrilled to read this. Keep posting such interesting topics.